Coconut oil gives these bars their soft and tender texture, but feel free to use shortening if you prefer.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 36 oatmeal cookie bars
- 1 cup virgin coconut oil (or shortening)
- 3/4 cup firmly-packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. molasses
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 3 cups rolled oats (quick-cooking oatmeal or regular oatmeal, not instant)
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup unsweetened or sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish, or spray with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat coconut oil and sugars together with an electric mixer (compare prices) until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then molasses and vanilla extract.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Add to the wet ingredients, beating on low speed until just incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Stir in oats, chocolate chips, coconut flakes and walnuts. Transfer batter to prepared pan, and smooth with a spatula so it is evenly distributed.
- Bake oatmeal chocolate chip cookie bars 30-34 minutes, until a knife inserted two inches from the center comes out clean.
Don't Miss: Oatmeal Cookie Recipes