Apple Pie Bars
Love apple pie, but don't feel like making a crust? These apple bars are perfect for you. The apple filling tastes just like apple pie. And the sweet streusel topping makes these apple pie bars melt in your mouth. I like to serve these apple squares warm, with vanilla ice cream on top. Add a drizzle of caramel sauce to these apple pie bars for a really decadent treat!
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/3 cup firmly-packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 medium McIntosh, Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- Crumb Topping:
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup of the flour, 1 cup of oats, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. With a pastry blender, your fingers or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in egg. Press into prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, toss remaining 1/4 cup of flour with apples, sugar and nutmeg. Spread over crust layer.
- For topping, toss oats, flour and sugar together. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives. Sprinkle over apple layer.
- Bake 30-38 minutes until apples are tender and top is golden brown.
Makes 24 large apple pie bars.