Don't Miss: St. Patrick's Day Recipes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 2-1/2 lbs. beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and cut into a large dice
- 2 cups Guinness or other beer
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 lbs. new potatoes or fingerling potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Season beef with salt and pepper. Toss with flour. Heat oil in a 5-quart dutch oven with a lid over medium heat. Brown beef on all sides.
- Add remaining ingredients, except potatoes. Reduce heat to medium low, and let stew simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes. Meanwhile preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Add potatoes to stew, and cover.
- Place Irish stew on middle rack of the oven. Bake 45-75 minutes, or until meat and vegetables are tender. Hint: Check stew at 40 minutes. If carrots and meat are not yet tender, continue cooking, adding more liquid to the stew if necessary.