This meat pie recipe is my favorite way to use leftover roast beef, beef brisket
, beef stew meat
, pot roast or taco meat. Don't have leftovers? You can make this pie with pre-cooked refrigerated beef tips or frozen beef or pork, such as Trader Joe's carne asada or philly cheesesteak beef slices.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1-1/2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
- 3/4 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp. ketchup
- 1 cup leftover cooked roast beef, brisket, pot roast or beef taco meat
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 slices American or cheddar cheese
- Take pie crust out of refrigerator to thaw while preparing the filling. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions. Cook 3-4 minutes until softened. Add frozen hash browns. Cook, stirring frequently, 5-6 minutes until soft, but not browned. Add frozen peas and carrots, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup and beef. Cook until vegetables are thawed 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Unroll the pie crust onto a baking sheet. Pile the filling onto the pie crust, leaving a 1-inch border all the way around. Flatten filling with a spatula. The meat filling will be about 1-1/2 inches high.
- Fold the pie crust border over the meat pie filling, crimping, if desired. The meat pie will look like a rustic tart.
- Bake 30-40 minutes until pie crust starts to brown. Top the pie with cheese. Bake another 5 minutes until cheese melts and crust is golden.