This meat pie recipe is my favorite way to use leftover roast beef, beef brisket, beef stew meat, pot roast or taco meat. Don't have leftovers? You can make this pie with pre-cooked refrigerated beef tips or frozen beef or pork, such as Trader Joe's carne asada or philly cheesesteak beef slices.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1-1/2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
- 3/4 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp. ketchup
- 1 cup leftover cooked roast beef, brisket, pot roast or beef taco meat
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 slices American or cheddar cheese
- Take pie crust out of refrigerator to thaw while preparing the filling. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions. Cook 3-4 minutes until softened. Add frozen hash browns. Cook, stirring frequently, 5-6 minutes until soft, but not browned. Add frozen peas and carrots, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup and beef. Cook until vegetables are thawed 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Unroll the pie crust onto a baking sheet. Pile the filling onto the pie crust, leaving a 1-inch border all the way around. Flatten filling with a spatula. The meat filling will be about 1-1/2 inches high.
- Fold the pie crust border over the meat pie filling, crimping, if desired. The meat pie will look like a rustic tart.
- Bake 30-40 minutes until pie crust starts to brown. Top the pie with cheese. Bake another 5 minutes until cheese melts and crust is golden.