Meat Pie RecipeThis meat pie recipe is a creative way to use leftover Irish stew or beef stew. And with a refrigerated pie crust, this meat pie is one of the simplest dinners you'll ever make.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts
- 5-6 cups of cold leftover beef stew or Irish stew*
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
*Note: If your stew is soupy, you will want to drain off most of the liquid. If the stew has too much liquid in it, the pie crust will get soggy. To test, fill a measuring cup with the stew, and turn it at a 90-degree angle. If liquid comes out, it's too soupy. Drain.
- Unroll one pie crust. Roll out on a floured board to a thickness of 1/8-inch. Fit pie crust into a 10-inch pie plate.
- Spoon beef stew into pie. Roll remaining pie crust out on a floured board to a thickness of 1/8-inch. Fit pie crust over beef stew, tucking the bottom crust under and crimping the edges. Brush beaten egg on crust. Cut slits in the top of the crust to allow steam to escape. Refrigerate meat pie 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Bake pie on the center rack for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Continue baking pie for 35-40 minutes until golden. Let meat pie rest 5 minutes before serving.