Swiss Steak Recipe
This swiss steak recipe makes a hearty dinner that is especially satisfying when the weather is cold. I like to serve this saucy swiss steak with mashed potatoes
and garlic green beans
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 lbs. round steak
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 14.5 oz. can French onion soup (not condensed)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
- In a wide shallow dish or plate, mix flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat or an electric skillet set to 350 degrees F.
- Dredge round steak in flour mixture, coating both sides. Sear in skillet, turning once to brown on both sides.
- Add onions, celery, carrots and mushrooms to skillet. Cook, stirring gently, a minute or two.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Sprinkle remaining flour over vegetables. Stir until flour starts to brown. Add French onion soup and water, stirring until no flour lumps appear.
- Let vegetables and meat cook 35-45 minutes on low until vegetables are soft, gravy is thick and meat is tender. Stir in sour cream, if desired.
Makes 6-8 servings.