Choose overripe, even black, bananas for this recipe. The ripeness is what gives this quick bread its sweet, almost cake-like flavor.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Yield: 16 servings
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3-4 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat melted butter and sugar together. Beat in mashed bananas, egg and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
Note: Be careful to measure your flour accurately.
- Fold flour mixture into wet ingredients until just combined. Do not overmix, or the bread will turn out tough.
- Stir in nuts and chocolate chips. Pour into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake 45-60 minutes until firm to the touch and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.