I've had the best results with frozen organic blueberries for this recipe, but use whatever you have on hand. The lemon-sugar streusel topping adds amazing flavor to these muffins.
Don't Miss: Blueberry Recipes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 10 blueberry muffins
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (preferably organic)
- For the Lemon Sugar Topping:
- 1 Tbsp. lemon zest
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a muffin tin with paper cups or spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, oil and buttermilk.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture and stir, with a fork, until just combined, but do not overmix. You don't want to see lumps of flour, but you don't want to beat it, either.
- Stir in the blueberries.
- Spoon into prepared muffin cups, filling 3/4 of the way to the top.
- Prepare topping by mixing lemon zest and sugar together with a fork.
- Cut in butter, using a pastry blender or two knives.
- Cut in flour until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Spoon over muffins, coating generously.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until muffins are golden brown.