French Bread RecipeFrench bread is one of my family's favorite treats. But I rarely have time to make it from scratch.
This French bread recipe is wonderful, because the dough is made in the bread machine. Just dump in the ingredients and come back a few hours later to rest it, shape it and bake it.
The end product is a crusty bread machine French bread that tastes as good as you'd find in a bakery.
- 1 cup water
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. active dry yeast
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp. water
- Place water, flours, salt, and yeast in your bread machine in the order directed by the bread machine manufacturer.
- Set it on the dough cycle.
- When cycle is complete, punch dough down, cover it with a clean towel and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly-floured surface, roll each half into an 8 x 10 rectangle.
- Starting from the long end, roll up dough, jelly-roll style. Tuck ends under.
- Place dough rolls on a lightly-greased baking sheet (or one lined with parchment paper).
- Cover with a clean towel and let rest 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place a broiler pan on the lowest rack of the oven. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Beat egg and water together. Brush over top of dough. Make diagonal slits across dough if you like.
- Place bread on the middle oven rack and pour 1 cup of water into the broiler pan. Bake 30-35 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped.