These sweet potato rolls are a nice change for the ordinary dinner roll. They're perfect as a dinner roll alongside ham, turkey or beef. These sweet potato crescent rolls also make an excellent breakfast or snack treat with a little honey butter.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour (or regular whole wheat flour), divided
- 1 Tbsp. active dry yeast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp. mace
- 1-1/2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 large egg
- Grease two baking sheets.
- Stir together 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup of the white whole wheat flour, the yeast, salt, pumpkin pie spice and mace in a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook the mashed sweet potatoes, milk and 1/4 cup of the butter until the butter is melted and the mixture is warmed through.
- Add the sweet potato mixture to the flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes on low.
- Add the egg. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in enough of the remaining flour and whole wheat flour to form a soft dough. Depending on the temperature and humidity in your house, you will need more or less flour.
- Sprinkle a cutting board lightly with flour. Turn dough out onto cutting board and knead for 5 minutes or so.
- Spray a metal or glass bowl with cooking spray. Add the dough to the greased bowl, turning to coat fully with the oil. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down dough.
- Divide dough in half. On a floured board, roll each half into a 12-inch circle on the prepared cutting board.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Brush each dough circle with 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Cut each dough circle into 12 wedges. Starting from the wide end roll up each wedge and curve slightly at the ends to form crescents. Place on prepared baking sheets.
- Cover with kitchen towels and let rise 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake rolls in preheated oven 10-12 minutes until firm to the touch and lightly browned.