To make this recipe a little healthier, try using whole wheat bread instead of white bread and reducing the amount of cheese by one-third. You could also add some sauteed vegetables. Mushrooms, bell peppers and zucchini would all work well in this dish.
Don't Miss: Breakfast Casserole Recipes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
refrigeration time: 12 hours
Total Time: 13 hours
Yield: 12-14 servings
- 18 slices white or sourdough bread, cubed
- 1 10 oz. package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 8 oz. cooked ham or Canadian bacon, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 cups crushed cornflakes cereal
- 6 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Butter a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Place half of the bread cubes in the dish. Sprinkle the thawed spinach evenly over the bread cubes. Top with the diced ham, the cheeses and the remaining bread cubes.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate overnight or up to 24 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix the crushed cornflakes and melted butter together with a fork until the cornflake crumbs are moist. Sprinkle evenly over the casserole.
- Bake 40 minutes or until the cornflakes are very light golden brown, and the casserole is bubbly. Let it rest for 10 minutes before cutting into squares to serve.
Don't Miss: Egg and Sausage Breakfast Casserole Recipe