Scottish Oat Cakes RecipeRecipe courtesy of Bob's Red Mill. Reprinted with permission.
These Scottish oat cakes make a lovely, wholesome breakfast or afternoon snack. Not too sweet, these Scottish oat cakes are wholesome and healthy.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups Scottish oatmeal, such as Bob's Red Mill Scottish Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet.
- Place all but two Tbsp. of the Scottish oatmeal in a bowl with flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir until combined.
- Add butter and stir until evenly distributed. With a fork, mix in water, just until moistened. Pat dough into a ball, and then flatten slightly. Sprinkle reserved 2 tablespoons oats on a board. Roll dough out 1/4 inch thick. With a 2 to 3 inch round cutter, cut dough into rounds. Re-roll and cut scraps. Place oatcakes about 1/4 inch apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 325°F until Scottish oatcakes are golden, approximately 25 minutes. Let cool on a rack. Enjoy plain, or serve with jam or cheese.