Although this breakfast pizza recipe doesn't call for any cheese, it wouldn't be out of place here. You could sprinkle on a tablespoon or two of grated parmesan or romano before adding the egg, which would be quite nice.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 18 minutes
Yield: 1 breakfast pizza
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 individual pizza shell (such as Boboli) or pita bread, naan or a 4-inch slice of hollowed-out French bread
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 1 large organic egg
- 1 small handful of fresh baby spinach, washed and patted dry with a paper towel
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
- Fry the bacon in a small skillet until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Set the bacon aside while you prepare the rest of the breakfast pizza.
- Brush the pizza shell with the olive oil. Sprinkle on some salt and pepper. Sprinkle on the dried Italian seasoning.
- Crack the egg into a small cup to make sure the yolk doesn't break. If it breaks, use that egg for something else, and crack another egg. Very gently slide the egg onto the pizza shell, holding up the sides of the shell with your other hand to make sure the egg doesn't slide off. This is the hardest part of making this breakfast pizza.
- Bake the pizza 4-8 minutes, just until the egg white sets. Watch it carefully. Do not overcook the breakfast pizza; you want the egg yolk to still be runny.
- Remove the pizza from the oven, and sprinkle on pieces of baby spinach. Crumble the bacon on top of the spinach. Serve immediately.