Crockpot Oatmeal RecipeThis Crockpot oatmeal recipe is a wonderful way to enjoy a hot breakfast with virtually no work in the morning. Just dump the ingredients in the slow cooker at night and wake up to a healthy, comforting breakfast in the morning.
Be sure to use steel cut oatmeal (also called Irish oatmeal or Scottish oats) for this recipe. If you use rolled oats, it will not hold up to the long cooking process.
Don't Miss: Family Favorite Oatmeal Recipes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 8 hours, 5 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1-1/2 cups steel cut oatmeal (also called Irish oatmeal or Irish oats - not rolled oats)
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups milk, half and half or cream
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 medium apples, peeled and diced
- honey for drizzling
- Spray the inside of your slow cooker stoneware with cooking spray.
- Place oatmeal, water, milk, brown sugar and cinnamon in Crockpot. Cover and set on low. Cook at least 6 hours, up to 12 hours.
Important Note About Slow Cooker Cooking Times: If you have a newer slow cooker, chances are, it is set at a higher temperature and may cook faster. If that's the case, check the oatmeal at 5 hours. If you want to cook it longer, set it on "warm" instead of "low." You can also add more water.
- About an hour before serving, add diced apples to the slow cooker. Stir, cover and cook another hour or so.
- To serve, drizzle with honey, and garnish with more chopped apples, if desired.