Double Chocolate SconesChocolate chip scones are good, but for the true chocoholic, nothing can compare to double chocolate scones. Orange zest makes this double chocolate scones recipe over the top.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp. orange zest
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- With a pastry blender or two knives, cut butter into flour mixture until butter is well-distributed and the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, beat egg and buttermilk together. Add to the flour mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon until incorporated.
- Fold in orange zest and chocolate chips.
- Sprinkle a cutting board lightly with flour. Turn dough out onto cutting board and knead several times. Pat into a large oval, about 1/2-inch thick.
- Cut into triangles. Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 18-20 minutes.