The strawberry syrup really makes this baked recipe special.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 12 servings
- 1 16 oz. loaf French bread
- 8 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup cottage cheese (low-fat is okay)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 16 oz. frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch mixed with 1 Tbsp. water
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cut French bread into slices that are about a half-inch thick. Arrange in a single layer in prepared baking dish.
- Place eggs, milk, cottage cheese, vanilla and cinnamon in a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Pour over French bread, turning several times to coat evenly. Cover with foil, and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove French toast casserole from refrigerator and let it come to room temperature. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake French toast, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove cover and continue to bake 15-30 minutes, until browned and set.
- To make strawberry sauce: Combine frozen strawberries, sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and add cornstarch and water mixture. Stir and cook until thickened, a minute or two.
Cut the French toast into squares and serve topped with strawberry sauce.
See also: How to Make French Toast Video