Sausage Burritos RecipeKids love Mexican food, and these sausage breakfast burritos are no exception. Hearty and satisfying, these sausage burritos can be served for lunch or dinner as well.
Recipe courtesy of the National Hot dog & Sausage Council. Reprinted with permission.
- 1 lb. breakfast or bulk sausage
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
- 8 8-inch flour tortillas, warmed according to package directions
- 1 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- 1- 1-1/2 cups chunky salsa (optional)
- In a large, heavy nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, breaking sausage into small pieces. cook until no longer pink. Drain well on clean paper towels. Keep sausage warm.
- Drain all but 1/2 to 1 tsp. of pan drippings. Add onions and peppers to skillet, and cook until vegetables are soft. Remove vegetables to a bowl. Cover to keep warm. Wipe skillet clean.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs, water and pepper together. Spray skillet with cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat. Add egg mixture, scramble until set, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover to keep warm.
- Spread 1/3 cup of sausage down the center of each warm tortilla, leaving a 1-inch border at the ends. Top with equal amounts of vegetables, scrambled eggs and cheese.
- Fold bottom edge up over filling. Fold left and right sides of tortilla over filling. Roll up tightly. Serve with salsa, if desired.