This is the best type of oatmeal to use if you want to cook your breakfast in the Crockpot. Rolled oats get mushy in the Crockpot, but steel cut oats can withstand the longer cooking time without breaking down.
This type of oatmeal is also sometimes called Irish oatmeal or Scottish oatmeal. McCann's and Quaker are two brands to look for.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 8 hours, 5 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 2 cups steel cut oatmeal (also called Irish oats or Scottish oats -- not rolled oats)
- 5 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 large bananas, sliced
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- maple syrup for drizzling
- Spray Crockpot stoneware with cooking spray.
- Place oats, water, milk, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in the Crockpot. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours.
- Just before serving, stir in bananas and pecans. Drizzle with maple syrup if desired.
Don't Miss: Family Favorite Oatmeal Recipes