Don't Miss: Broccoli Recipes Even the Kids Will Love
- 2-3 Tbsp. bread crumbs
- 5 Tbsp. butter
- 5 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk or half and half
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 3-4 dashes hot sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 16 oz. frozen broccoli florets, thawed and drained
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish with high sides. Sprinkle bread crumbs in casserole dish, shaking to coat the bottom and sides.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour. Cook 2 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Whisk in milk or half and half. Cook, whisking frequently, until mixture starts to boil and thicken, 3-6 minutes.
- Add salt, mustard, hot sauce and cheese. Stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the thawed broccoli.
- Separate the eggs, placing the egg whites in a very clean bowl.
- Add the egg yolks to the broccoli mixture.
- Add the cream of tartar to the egg whites. Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into broccoli mixture. Do not overmix. It is better to have a little egg white that isn't incorporated into the mixture than to overmix.
- Gently turn into prepared casserole dish. Bake 32-45 minutes until the souffle is puffed and golden brown.