This gingerbread brownies recipe starts with a basic chocolate brownie recipe. Warm gingerbread spices are added to the chocolate brownie batter. The chocolate ginger brownies are then topped with crystallized ginger and white and dark chocolate chips for a rich and heavenly dessert that tastes warm and comforting.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 22 minutes
Total Time: 32 minutes
Yield: 16-24 brownies
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp. finely-chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease an 8- or 9-inch baking dish generously (or spray with cooking spray).
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and chocolate together over medium-low heat. Remove from heat, and stir in the molasses and sugar.
- Add the eggs, beating well with a spoon or spatula.
- Add the flours, but do not mix in yet. Add the baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and ginger on top of the flour. Now mix until incorporated - you don't want to see any streaks of flour, but you don't want to overmix either, or the brownies will become tough.
- Spread chocolate gingerbread brownie batter into prepared baking dish. Bake 18 minutes. Sprinkle the crystallized ginger, chocolate chips and white chocolate chips on top of the chocolate ginger brownies. Bake another 2-4 minutes until a knife inserted in the center of the brownies comes out mostly clean.
- Let brownies cool completely, before cutting into squares