Recipe for German Chocolate Brownies
If you like German chocolate cake, you will like these German chocolate brownies. The ingredients are similar -- a coconut and pecan topping over a chocolate base -- but these German chocolate brownies have a chewy, fudgy brownie base.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 24 brownies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup light-brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1/3 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Place butter and chocolate in a microwave-safe container. Heat 30 seconds. Stir, and repeat until melted.
- Beat eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add vanilla and sugars. Mix well. Beat in chocolate mixture until smooth.
- Dump flour, baking powder and salt on top. Mix well. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 25-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For topping: Stir butter and brown sugar together until smooth. Add remaining ingredients. Spoon over brownies as soon as they come out of the oven. Turn oven to broil. Place brownies back in oven, 4-6 inches from the top. Broil 2-4 minutes until the coconut is golden brown. Watch the brownies carefully! Coconut burns easily.