Don't Miss: Ideas for Decorating Kids' Birthday Cupcakes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Yield: 24 servings
- 4 cups cake flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- chocolate frosting or buttercream frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish (compare prices) or two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Sift the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Don't skip this step! Sifting incorporates air into the cake, making it light and tender.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the softened butter and sugar together with an electric stand mixer (compare prices) until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in the vanilla extract, then the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add one-third of the flour mixture to the cake batter, beating until incorporated. Then add one-third of the milk and beat well.
- Continue adding the flour mixture and the milk alternately, beating well after each addition. Adding the flour and milk in this way makes the cake moist and tender.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan, and bake 40-55 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the yellow cake comes out clean.