Easy Chocolate Cake Recipe
Reader Joyce LaRosa gave me the idea for this easy chocolate cake recipe. Her son is allergic to peanuts and eggs, so she makes an allergen-free lemon cake for him from a cake mix and lemon seltzer water. I took the idea and used it in this easy chocolate cake recipe. Now, if your child has dairy allergies, you may want to use just powdered sugar instead of the ganache to frost this easy chocolate cake recipe.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 18.25 oz. chocolate cake mix
- 1-1/2 cups raspberry or lemon seltzer water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups chopped semisweet chocolate or chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Pour cake mix and seltzer water into a mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Pour chocolate cake batter into prepared pan. Bake 30-32 minutes, until a toothpick inserted two inches from the edge comes out clean.
- Let cake cool completely. When ready to serve, cut cake into pieces and place on plates.
- Make ganache: Heat cream in a saucepan over medium-low heat until bubbles form around the edges. Stir in chopped chocolate. Remove from heat, and drizzle ganache over each piece of cake.