Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake Recipe
This healthy cake recipe is as rich as any other chocolate peanut butter cake recipe, but it has yogurt and ground flaxseed meal in place of some of the butter and less sugar than most chocolate peanut butter cake recipes. To make this low fat cake recipe even more healthy, use an omega-3 enriched peanut butter, such as Smart Balance.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1-2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 10 Tbsp. butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed meal
- 16 oz. plain yogurt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix flours, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, beat butter, flaxseed meal, yogurt, eggs and vanilla together with an electric mixer. On low speed, add dry ingredients, beating until incorporated. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and immediately spread peanut butter over top, allowing the heat of the cake to melt the peanut butter into a soft, spreadable frosting. Sprinkle chocolate chips over peanut butter. Using a knife, swirl chocolate chips and peanut butter together.
Makes 18 servings of healthy chocolate peanut butter cake.