This moist banana cake recipe is one of the best banana cakes you will ever taste. It is also a surprisingly healthy recipe. The secret? Most of the sugar in this cake is in the streusel filling. It hits your mouth as soon as you bite into the cake, giving you the sense of sweetness. But actually, there is less sugar in this recipe than in most cakes. The bananas and yogurt also add tenderness to this healthy cake recipe, allowing me to keep the butter to a minimum.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Yield: 9-12 servings
- Streusel Filling:
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed meal
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips or chunks
- For Cake:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 7 Tbsp. butter, softened to room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 very ripe medium bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup non-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together streusel filling ingredients. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar together until fluffy. Beat in egg, bananas, yogurt and vanilla until smooth. On low speed, gradually mix in dry ingredients, beating until incorporated.
- Pour half of the banana cake batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle half of the streusel filling on top. Top with remaining banana cake batter and remaining streusel.
- Bake 42-45 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.