Don't Miss: Mexican Recipes for Kids
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil or olive oil, divided
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2. tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 small red, green and/or yellow pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and cut into slices
- 8 flour tortillas, warmed according to package directions
- toppings like salsa, shredded lettuce, cheese, chopped tomatoes, guacamole and sour cream
- Make the marinade first: Whisk together 2 Tbsp. of the oil, the lime juice and zest, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and garlic powder. (You can do this up to 1 week in advance. Just store the marinade in an airtight container in the fridge and toss with the chicken 15 minutes before you're ready to cook.)
- Cut the chicken into 1/2-inch wide strips. Place the chicken strips and the fajita marinade in a glass bowl, and stir to coat well. Refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the peppers and onions, stir-frying 2 minutes or so until softened.
- Add the chicken to the skillet. Stir-fry the chicken with the vegetables until the chicken is cooked through.
- A fun way to serve chicken fajitas is to set up a fajita bar. Put a spoonful of the chicken, peppers and onions in the center of a warmed tortilla. Let everyone top with their favorite toppings (salsa, guacamole, shredded lettuce, cheese, sour cream, etc.). Roll up and enjoy.
Don't Miss: Chicken Breast Recipes