Chicken Enchilada Casserole
This chicken enchiladas casserole is easy to prepare, because the ingredients are layered, rather than rolled, saving you time. Green salsa is simple salsa made with tomatillos. If you can't find it in your supermarket, substitute red tomato salsa in this chicken enchilada casserole.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1/2 cup finely-diced onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 cups green salsa (salsa verde), divided
- 3 oz. cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions soften, 3-4 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of the salsa, the cream cheese and the chicken.
- Simmer, over medium-low heat until cream cheese is melted and flavors meld together.
- Spoon 1/2 cup of the salsa in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan.
- Top with four of the corn tortillas. Spoon the chicken mixture over the tortillas. Top with half of the cheddar cheese.
- Layer the remaining four tortillas over the cheese. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of salsa, then the remaining cheese.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted and enchilada casserole is bubbly.