Crispy Oven Fried Chicken
This oven fried chicken recipe is so crispy, you'll swear it's deep-fried. The secret? The breading is a mixture of crushed pretzels and flour. I use boneless skinless chicken breasts for this crispy oven fried chicken recipe, but you can substitute chicken thighs if you prefer.
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp. Old Bay seasoning
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup crushed pretzels
- 3-4 Tbsp. canola oil
- Whisk together buttermilk and Old Bay seasoning. Place chicken breasts in a zipper-sealed plastic bag. Cover with buttermilk mixture. Seal bag, and place in a bowl to catch any leaks. Refrigerate chicken 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together egg, honey and salt in a shallow bowl. Mix flour and crushed pretzels together, and spread out on a plate or shallow dish.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch cast iron or oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture first, then flour mixture, shaking off excess. Pan-fry chicken, 2-3 minutes per side, then place the skillet in the oven until chicken cooks through, 15-20 minutes.
Makes 3-4 servings of crispy oven fried chicken.