Learning how to make chocolate chip cookies is easy with these step-by-step directions. This recipe results in soft, chewy chocolate chip cookies -- the texture you can only get by making them at home yourself. Store-bought cookies could never compare to these.
- Gather the ingredients for your chocolate chip cookies.
You will need:
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 12 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
- Make the chocolate chip cookie dough: With an electric kitchen mixer (compare prices), cream butter and sugars together until very smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in the egg, egg yolk and vanilla until well-incorporated into the chocolate chip cookie dough.
- Pour flour on top of chocolate chip cookie batter, but do not mix it in yet. Pour baking soda and salt over flour. Now mix into chocolate chip cookie dough.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Use a cookie scoop (compare prices) or tablespoon to drop cookies onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes until the cookies are golden around the edges, but still slightly underdone in the center.
- Let the cookies cool for two minutes on cookie sheets. Transfer to wire racks to finish cooling.
- Be sure to cream the butter and sugar for a good 2-3 minutes. This beats air into the dough, which helps the cookies become tender.
- Leave two inches between the cookies on baking sheets to allow room for the cookies to spread.
- Try refrigerating the dough for 20-30 minutes. This can further enhance the soft texture of the cookies.
- Try using dark chocolate chips or a combination of dark and milk chocolate chips for these cookies.
- A cookie scoop makes it easy to make uniformly-sized cookies.