If you're a fan of Mexican wedding cookies (also sometimes called Russian tea cakes or Italian wedding cookies), you will adore this chocolate wedding cookies recipe. It's just like the basic Mexican wedding cookies recipe, but with a chocolate dough. Although this recipe calls for walnuts, you can use any kind of nut in this chocolate wedding cookies recipe.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 22 minutes
Total Time: 37 minutes
Yield: 30-36 chocolate wedding cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, plus more for rolling
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup very finely-chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or silpat mats (compare prices).
- Beat the softened butter with an electric mixer until fluffy, about 1 minute. Add the powdered sugar, a little at a time, beating on low speed at first, until it's incorporated. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Add the flour and cocoa powder, beating on low speed until the mixture forms a soft dough. Stir in the chopped nuts.
- Form the chocolate wedding cookie dough into 1-inch balls and place on the prepared cookie sheets about 1 inch apart. Bake 18-22 minutes until the wedding cookies are firm to the touch.
- When the Mexican wedding cookies come out of the oven, let them cool 5 minutes, then roll in powdered sugar.