Candy Cane CookiesA basic sugar cookie dough is transformed by adding peppermint extract and red food coloring for this candy cane cookies recipe.
Don't Miss: Sugar Cookie Recipes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 14-18 cookies
- 1 17.5 oz. package powdered sugar cookie mix
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1-3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. peppermint extract
- 4-5 drops red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Dump cookie mix into a large mixing bowl. Add softened butter, egg and one tablespoon of flour.
- Using an electric mixer or your hands, mix until it forms a soft dough.
- Divide dough in half. Add peppermint extract to one half. Knead it into the dough until well-incorporated. Add a tablespoon of flour if dough is too sticky.
- Add red food coloring to the other half. Start with a few drops of food coloring, and add more until you get a deep pink color (or a red color, if you prefer). Add a tablespoon or two of additional flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Pinch off one teaspoon of pink dough. Roll between your palms to form a rope, about 3 to 4 inches long. Repeat with one teaspoon of the white dough.
- Place the ropes side-by-side and twist into a candy cane shape, pinching at the ends to seal. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Repeat with remaining dough. Bake 7 to 10 minutes until cookies are lightly browned around the edges.
Don't Miss: Smoothie Recipes the Kids Will Love