Don't Miss: Best Sugar Cookie Recipes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
refrigeration time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 32 minutes
Yield: 60 cookies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- red and green colored sugars for rolling
- With an electric mixer, cream butter, shortening and sugar together until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Gradually beat into butter-sugar mixture on low speed until it forms a soft dough.
- Gather dough into a ball then form into two logs, each 2-inches in diameter. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour (up to 3 days). You can also freeze the sugar cookie dough (wrapped very tightly in plastic wrap) for up to 3 months.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread green colored sugar on one plate. Spread red colored sugar on another plate. Unwrap sugar cookie dough logs and roll in colored sugar. You can roll one log in red sugar, the other in green sugar. Or roll half of each log in red sugar, and half in green sugar.
- Slice into 1/4-inch rounds. Bake 10-12 minutes until lightly golden brown around the edges.
Don't Miss: Smoothie Recipes the Kids Will Love