Use a coarse colored sugar (compare prices) for decorating. You can usually find them at craft stores, such as Michaels, or Wal-Mart or larger supermarkets. If not, they are available online.
Don't Miss: Easy Kids Christmas Cookies
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Yield: 36 cookies
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- sprinkles or colored sugar for decorating
- With an electric mixer, beat sugar and shortening together.
- Beat in eggs, sour cream and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to wet ingredients, on low speed, until incorporated.
- Refrigerate dough 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Form dough into 3/4-inch balls. Roll in colored sugar and place on ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten slightly with your fingertips. Bake 9-10 minutes until just set. The sugar cookies may appear underdone. Let them cook on the baking sheets for 10 minutes and they will firm up.
Don't Miss: Sugar Cookie Recipes