Christmas Sugar CookiesThese Christmas sugar cookies are soft and not too sweet, which gives you plenty of opportunity to add your own sweetness from the icing and decorating. Be sure to check out these Christmas cookies, too.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- icing, colored sugars for decorating
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy, 3-4 minutes.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Beat into butter mixture on low speed just until flour mixture is incorporated into dough.
- Gather dough with your hands and form a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2-3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll out dough on a lightly-floured surface.* Cut into desired shapes. Place on ungreased or parchment-lined cookie sheets. Bake 8-11 minutes until just golden around the edges. Let cool completely on wire racks, and decorate as desired.
*Hint: Roll dough out onto parchment paper. Cut into shapes, and pick up the scraps around the shapes. Now transfer the parchment paper to a cookie sheet, and bake. This way, you don't have to mess with transferring the dough to the cookie sheets.