The warm spices of this gingerbread recipe will delight all of your senses. Lemon icing would make an ideal finish for this spice cake. This is a wonderful treat to make for a Christmas party or any holiday celebration.
Don't Miss: Gingerbread Cookies
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 47 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 2 minutes
Yield: 24 servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 1 cup oiling water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with nonstick baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, allspice and cloves.
- Add the eggs, oil and molasses to the flour mixture. Using an electric mixer on medium-low speed, beat for 1 minute, until blended. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl with a spatula. Beat on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the boiling water and whisk until just blended (the batter will be thin).
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 42 to 47 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack. If desired, spread a thin layer of lemon or vanilla icing on top of the cooled cake.
Variation: Make whole wheat gingerbread. Substitute 2 cups whole wheat flour for the 2 cups of all-purpose flour.