Soft Ginger Snap CookiesThe secret ingredient in these soft ginger cookies is mace. It adds an extra layer of spicy flavor to these ginger cookies and makes them smell delicious while baking.
These ginger cookies are a great for making pumpkin trifle, too.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 1/4 tsp. mace
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup molasses
- additional granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, mace and salt. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together until fluffy, 3-5 minutes.
- Beat in egg, vanilla and molasses.
- On low speed, beat in flour mixture.
- Form dough into one-inch balls. Roll in additional sugar. Place on ungreased cookie sheets, about two inches apart.
- Bake 8-10 minutes until just set. Do not overbake, or the cookies will get hard.
- Cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container with a piece of bread.