Important note: You may be tempted to leave out the hot sauce from this recipe if your kids don't like spicy foods. Resist the temptation. The hot sauce just adds a little background zing to this recipe. As with all slow cooker recipes, flavors in this mac and cheese tend to get muted during the long cooking time. The hot sauce perks up the flavor of this dish in a pleasing, not spicy way.
Don't Miss: 10 Best Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours, 5 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 8 oz. elbow macaroni
- 1 12 oz. can evaporated skim milk
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 5-10 drops hot sauce (or more or less, to taste)
- 3 cups fresh or frozen broccoli florets, thawed if frozen
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions, cooking the pasta until it is "al dente" (the shortest cooking time in the range). Drain macaroni in a colander.
- Spray the slow cooker stoneware with cooking spray. Add the macaroni, evaporated milk, whole milk, 3 cups of the cheddar cheese, the salt and the pepper.
- Cover and cook on low 2-3 hours or high for 1-2 hours. Add the broccoli. Cover, and cook for another hour.
- Sprinkle with reserved cheese. Cover, and cook on low for 10-15 minutes more.
See also: Crockpot Macaroni and Cheese with Ham