Once you learn how to make cream cheese frosting with this easy recipe, you will never buy the store-bought cream cheese again. The secret to making this cream cheese icing rich and creamy is to whip the cream cheese thoroughly. I like to use an electric hand mixer (compare prices) or stand mixer (compare prices) to make this cream cheese icing.
Time Required: 10
- Gather the ingredients for your cream cheese frosting. You will need:
- 12 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1-2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Place the cream cheese in a mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer or stand mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes. This is what makes the cream cheese frosting smooth.
- Add 1 cup of the powdered sugar, and beat on low speed until incorporated. Don't beat on high - if you do, you could have powdered sugar flying all over the kitchen. Taste, and add more sugar if you like.
- Add the vanilla extract, and beat until smooth and spreadable. Refrigerate the cream cheese frosting until ready to use.
- Let the cream cheese soften a bit, about 10 minutes at room temperature, before making the frosting.
- Use this cream cheese frosting on carrot cake, red velvet cake, cupcakes and more.