You don't want to fill the ice cream cones in advance, or they could get soggy. But you can make the filling several hours or even up to a day in advance. Just cover, and refrigerate. Just before serving, fill the shells.
Don't Miss: No Bake Desserts
Prep Time: 15 minutes
refrigeration time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
- 1 pint ricotta cheese (part-skim is okay)
- 3/4 to 1 cup confectioner's sugar, depending on how sweet you like it
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. orange zest
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, plus more for garnish
- 12 sugar cones
- 1/4 cup finely-chopped pistachio nuts
- Place the ricotta cheese in a fine-mesh strainer set over a bowl in the refrigerator. Let it drain for at least 1 hour or as long as overnight. Discard the liquid in the bowl.
- In a medium bowl, mix the drained ricotta cheese, 3/4 cup of the confectioner's sugar, vanilla, orange zest and the 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips. Taste, and add more sugar if desired. If making in advance, cover the filling and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, use a spoon, a pastry bag or a zipper-sealed gallon-size plastic bag with the bottom tip cut off to fill the ice cream cones with the cannoli filling.
- Spread the finely-chopped pistachio nuts on a plate. Dip the cannoli filling into the pistachios. Or dip them into the remaining mini chocolate chips instead. Serve immediately.