With just 5 ingredients, this baked rice pudding recipe couldn't be simpler. The only thing you need to know to make this rice pudding recipe work is to stir it every 10-15 minutes. This is crucial! Otherwise, the rice pudding will develop a skin, and it won't be evenly cooked.
Demerara sugar on top is the perfect finishing touch for this rice pudding. Demerara sugar is less refined than table sugar, and has slightly larger crystals that dance on the tongue.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 20 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 4 cups milk (whole, 2% or skim)
- 1/3 cup arborio rice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. Demerara sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour milk into baking dish. Add rice, brown sugar and butter. Stir gently.
- Place on the center rack of preheated oven. Bake 2 to 2-1/2 hours, stirring every 10-15 minutes.*
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle Demerara sugar on top.
*IMPORTANT: this rice pudding is almost effortless to make, but it is crucial to stir it every 10-15 minutes. Otherwise, the rice pudding will develop a skin and burn.
Don't Miss: Stovetop Rice Pudding Recipe with Raisins