Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches
Recipe courtesy of the California Walnut Commission. Reprinted with permission.This ice cream sandwich recipe is a wonderful change from the standard chocolate and vanilla ice cream sandwiches you buy. These homemade ice cream sandwiches start with chewy walnut cookies. You can fill these ice cream sandwiches with vanilla ice cream, butter pecan ice cream, even chocolate peanut butter ice cream.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 42 minutes
Yield: 15-18 ice cream sandwiches
- 1-1/2 cups California walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 gallon ice cream (vanilla, chocolate, chocolate peanut butter ice cream, etc.
- Place walnuts in a large, dry skillet over medium-high heat to toast. Stir occasionally, until lightly browned, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar together with a hand mixer, about 2 minutes. Add honey and egg. Beat to incorporate.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Add flour mixture to wet ingredients, and stir to combine. Mix in walnut pieces and chocolate chips.
- Evenly place 1 Tbsp. portions of cookie dough 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Bake cookies 10-12 minutes, or until edges are light golden brown. Let cookies cool completely.
- Place a scoop of ice cream on the bottom side of one cookie. Top with another cookie to make a sandwich. Repeat with remaining ice cream and cookies.
- Serve immediately, or wrap ice cream sandwiches individually in plastic wrap, and place in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.