Although I'm told the authentic Macaroni Grill chocolate cake recipe calls for coffee, I wanted to make a version for the kids. So this smothered chocolate cake recipe uses buttermilk in place of the coffee.
- 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1-1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 10 oz. chopped chocolate
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 pan.
- With an electric mixer, beat mayonnaise and sugar together.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder and baking soda.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the mayonnaise mixture.
- Add half of the buttermilk to the batter, beating well.
- Add remaining flour mixture and remaining buttermilk.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted 2 inches from the edge comes out with crumbs attached.
- Let cool. Meanwhile, prepare ganache: Put chopped chocolate in a heat-resistant dish.
- Heat heavy cream over medium heat just until bubbles begin to form around the edges. Pour over chopped chocolate.
- Stir until smooth.
- Cut cake into pieces and pour ganache over each piece, so it drizzles down the sides. Garnish with chopped walnuts.