If you like, you can use this recipe to make red velvet cake instead. Simply pour into greased 9-inch baking pans and bake for 30 minutes.
Cream cheese frosting makes a great icing for these cupcakes.
Don't Miss: Fun Cupcake Ideas
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 22 minutes
Total Time: 37 minutes
Yield: 16 cupcakes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 oz. red food coloring (2 bottles)
- 2-1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour (sift it, then measure it)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbsp. white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- With an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar together until creamy. Beat in eggs.
- Stir cocoa powder into red food coloring, then add to the sugar mixture.
- Stir flour and salt together in a small bowl. Add one-third of the flour mixture to the batter, then one-third of the buttermilk, and so on, alternating, until all is incorporated into the batter.
- Dissolve the baking soda into the vinegar and add that to the batter.
- Pour into prepared cupcake liners. Bake 18-22 minutes.
- Frost with cream cheese frosting.
Don't Miss: Patriotic Desserts