These thumbprint cookies have a buttery, not terribly sweet base, and are topped with a sweet jam filling. This recipe for thumbprint cookies is perfect for picnics, bake sales, potlucks and the holidays.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (confectioner's sugar)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup raspberry jam or jelly
- With an electric mixer, beat butter and cream cheese together until well-blended. Beat in powdered sugar and egg yolk until fluffy.
- Gradually add flour, making sure that you measure your flour correctly until it is incorporated. Do not overmix the dough or it will become tough.
- Refrigerate dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll dough into walnut-sized balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Make an indentation in the center of each ball with your thumb. Fill with about 1/2 teaspoon of the jam.
- Bake cookies for 12-15 minutes until very lightly browned on the bottom.