I don't know if this recipe tastes authentic, but it is wonderfully moist and delicious. Plus, it's a super easy tres leches cake, because it starts with a cake mix.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
refrigeration time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes
Yield: 24 servings
- 1 18.25 oz. box white or yellow cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 12 oz. can evaporated milk (skim or regular)
- 1 cup whole milk or light cream
- 12 oz. vanilla frosting or buttercream frosting
- strawberries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, eggs, water, oil and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove cake from oven and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, stir together the sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk and whole milk or light cream until well blended.
- Poke cake all over with a skewer or straw. Pour milk mixture all over cake, pressing lightly to make sure milk is completely absorbed.
- Refrigerate cake 1-2 hours.
- Spread frosting over cake.
- Cut cake into slices and spoon several tablespoons of the sauce over each slice. Top with sliced strawberries.