This vanilla sauce makes a great topping for all sorts of desserts, from chocolate cake to rice pudding to fresh berries.
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pour half and half into a saucepan and heat over medium heat until bubbles begin to form around the edges.
- Whisk together sugar and egg yolks.
- Whisk in about a quarter of the egg mixture, stirring constantly to make sure the eggs don't scramble.
- When egg yolks are incorporated, remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the remaining egg mixture.
- Return to the stove, continuing to whisk, while the mixture warms through.
- Add the butter and vanilla. As soon as the butter is melted, turn off the heat.