Recipe courtesy of Strauss Free Raised Veal. Reprinted with permission.
Free-raised veal burgers make a great alternative to beef burgers. This recipe is for a gourmet veal burger that's loaded with vegetables. If the kids don't care for eggplant or roasted red peppers, just leave them out (more for you!).
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 lb. ground free raised veal, such as Strauss free raised veal
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) focaccia bread (approx. 8-inch diameter)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 round slices unpeeled eggplant (1/4 inch thick)
- 2 Tbsp. prepared basil pesto
- 1/2 cup jarred roasted red peppers, rinsed, drained, cut into strips
- 1/3 cup prepared basil pesto
- Preheat a grill or grill pan.
- Cut focaccia into four wedges. Using serrated knife, cut each wedge horizontally in half. Pull out 1/4 inch soft bread crumbs from cut sides of tops of focaccia. Place in food processor, and process into fine crumbs. Set aside 1/4 cup of crumbs for burgers; reserve remaining crumbs for another use.
- In large bowl, combine veal, 1/4 cup of the bread crumbs, the egg, salt and pepper. Mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 1/2-inch thick patties.
- Brush both sides of eggplant slices with equal amounts of the 2 tablespoons pesto.
- Place patties in center of grill. Arrange eggplant around patties. Grill, uncovered, 10 to 12 minutes or until centers of patties are no longer pink and eggplant is tender, turning once.
- Place focaccia, cut sides down, on grill. Grill 1 to 2 minutes. Spread 1/3 cup pesto over cut sides of focaccia. Divide eggplant and red peppers among the focaccia pieces; top with burgers. Close sandwiches with focaccia tops.