I like to use a microwave-safe glass dish (compare prices) for this recipe. They're convenient, you don't have to worry about any unsafe materials leaching into your food, and you can throw them in the dishwasher when you're finished.
You can use any type of hot dogs for this recipe - pork hot dogs, beef hot dogs, chicken dogs, turkey dogs or uncured, nitrate-free organic hot dogs.
Don't Miss: Easy Microwave Recipes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 8 hot dogs
- 2 14 oz. cans chili beans or 2 cans of any kind of chili (vegetarian, beef, chicken, etc.)
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. chopped onion, divided
- 2 Tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 Tbsp. relish
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut several slits crosswise in each hot dog to prevent them from exploding in the microwave. Place the hot dogs in a large microwave-safe glass dish with a lid (compare prices)
- Pour the chili beans or canned chili over the hot dogs. Top with 1/2 cup of the onions, mustard and relish. Stir to mix well, making sure the hot dogs are covered with the chili mixture.
- Cover with the lid, slightly askew, allowing some the chili dogs to vent, and cook on high for 3 minutes. Stir, and continue heating in 1-minute increments, if necessary, until the chili dogs are warmed through.
Important: The cooking time will depend on how powerful your microwave oven is. It can vary dramatically - very powerful microwave ovens can cook these chili dogs in 3 minutes; others may take up to 10 minutes. Always check the temperature of the food before continuing to heat.
- Serve the chili dogs on hot dog buns, topped with shredded cheddar cheese and remaining chopped onions.
Don't Miss: Recipes for Teens