This is a unique version of the popular New Orleans muffaletta sandwich. Instead of using crusty bread, this recipe is made into a tart with refrigerated pie crust. The result is a tasty twist on a classic Cajun favorite. Look for jarred olive salad in the condiment aisle of your favorite supermarket.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 8 oz. provolone cheese
- 4 oz. salami
- 4 oz. mortadella (Italian bologna)
- 4 oz. ham
- 1/2 cup prepared olive salad, well-drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Unfold pie crust onto a baking sheet, and roll into a 14-inch circle. Place one third of provolone cheese on the crust, leaving a 1-inch border all the way around. Top with half each of the salami, mortadella and ham.
- Make sure the olive salad is well drained (otherwise it will seep into the pie crust and turn it soggy). Spread half of the olive salad on top of the ham. Top with another third of provolone cheese, and the remaining salami, mortadella and ham. Top with the remaining olive salad and remaining provolone.
- With your fingers, fold the edges of the tart over, so that it forms a 1-inch crust all the way around. Bake the tart for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.