Penne pasta and two kinds of cheese make this baked macaroni and cheese recipe really stand out. Serve with baked macaroni and cheese with a kids salad and fresh fruit.
Be sure to make enough for leftovers. This baked macaroni and cheese tastes even better the second day.
Don't Miss: Best Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 16 oz. penne pasta
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 cups milk at room temperature
- 1 tsp. garlic powder (not garlic salt)
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 3-4 dashes hot sauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil for pasta. Cook according to package directions for the shortest recommended cooking time (in other words, if it says 12-15 minutes, cook for 12 minutes). Drain.
- In a medium saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in milk. Add garlic powder, salt, pepper, mustard and hot sauce, continuing to whisk frequently, until mixture boils and thickens.
- When sauce thickens, turn off heat, and add 1 cup of the cheddar cheese and the Monterey Jack cheese. Stir until cheeses are completely melted.
- Pour cheese sauce over macaroni. Stir and transfer to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese over top. Bake 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden.
Don't Miss: Comfort Food Recipes They'll Love